CHARLOTTE, N.C. (August 27, 2015) – Carowinds is unveiling plans to bring a fresh and exciting Carolina coastal experience to guests with a historic waterpark expansion in 2016. The transformation is part of the park’s commitment to celebrate Carowinds’ heritage as the place where the Carolinas come together, creating an “aquatic playground” with thrilling new attractions, new amenities and a new coastal name – Carolina Harbor.
Carolina Harbor Waterpark will be included with park admission and will offer guests relaxing moments of tranquility and refreshing thrills by the “shores”, plus delivers a best day ever guest experience. The addition is the latest phase in a $50 million plus multi-year expansion at Carowinds, an effort kicked off by building the world’s tallest and fastest giga coaster, Fury 325, as well as new park food offerings which are regionally relevant.
“We listened to our guests and have made a promise to bring them more family-friendly attractions,” said Mike Fehnel, Carowinds vice president and general manager. “And we’re happy to be delivering on our promise with the addition of Carolina Harbor – a guaranteed ultimate waterpark experience. Carowinds is growing by leaps and bounds and continues to put the park on the map as the premier entertainment destination of the Carolinas.”
Carolina Harbor will feature a combination of thrills, relaxation and family fun, including twice the number of water slides than the current Boomerang Bay. Carolina Harbor will feature many of the park’s current popular waterpark attractions, while introducing a variety of new ones:
- Blackbeard’s Revenge is a thrilling new six story tall water slide complex that features three exhilarating attractions and a total of six thrilling slides:
- Pirate’s Plank will send guests plummeting down a nearly vertical free fall where the floor drops out from underneath. ·
- Cannonball Drop will twist and turn riders through an enclosed chute with four intense 360-degree turns.
- Captain’s Curse shoots guests down a series of intense drops and turns.
A new two-acre family area will include many new activities to enjoy together:
- Seaside Splashworks, a multi-level children’s water spray ground, will feature over 80 countless play elements including a giant 423-gallon tipping bucket.
- Kiddy Hawk Cove and Myrtle Turtle Beach are two areas specifically geared with the little squirts in mind. These toddler areas will include jets of water spraying up from the ground surrounded by a charming garden atmosphere.
- Surf Club Harbor will be our newest wave pool, creating up to six-foot waves in 12 different wave patterns, mimicking the high surf of the Atlantic Ocean.
Carolina Harbor will also feature many new amenities:
- New Entrance
- New Restaurants
- Sand Volleyball Courts
- Additional Plush Cabanas and Seating
- Upgraded Facilities
Carowinds has recently been named one of the nation’s top amusement parks by the Travel Channel and Fodor’s Travel, and TripAdvisor’s family travel site has named it one of the country’s 10 Best Amusement Parks for Families. The park will be sharing additional plans for the 2016 season later in the fall. To see Carolina Harbor illustrations, construction photos and more, visit carowinds.com/carolinaharbor. In addition, guests can purchase a 2016 season pass or renew their current season pass for the lowest price of the year at carowinds.com.